Thursday, June 23, 2011

Summer is cool...but lots of new and returning TV

Summer here in the great northwest has been very cool, literally. We have had MAYBE three days at 70 or better.  It is a tease....we get one nice day and the next day we get 63 again.
 So time for summer TV!
I am sure I have missed some but these come to mind right away:

Breaking Bad: This one I am really looking forward to. His wife is in on the "family business" now and things get really dangerous.

Entourage: The final season of this great show, both funny and dramatic. Love Johnny Drama! And Ari and Vince and the gang.

So You Think You Can Dance: kind of the dancing American Idol. Young people whose families have sacrificed a lot in most cases, to let their child train in dance, getting the chance to make their dreams come true. The choreographed dances they do as couples for the first few weeks include funny as well as very emotional, sometimes making us all cry.

The Bachelorette:  Usually this is fun to see how silly the contestants act to vie for the Bachelor/ette's attention many romantic scenes as well, although there is a lot of  predictable "amazing!" and "I'm so glad you are all here!" and "this is so hard to let one of you go tonight."
There have been only three successful relationships that have lasted more than a couple months after the airing of the show. But still we romantics tune in.  This year, however, we have the third place bachelorette from last season's Bachelor.  Ashley was not my favorite then but when this season's Bachelorette began I was all ready to be positive and get behind her.

Ooohhhh, did that go downhill REALLY FAST!  This woman was warned before she began to tape the show by a friend texting her that there was a man named Bentley (so sick of hearing that name) who was not there for the "right reasons."  She said she was willing to go forth and give him a chance and hoped he wasn't too good looking to make it more difficult to let him go. So she meets this creep and I think she was the only woman in the world who thought he was "gorgeous". I thought he was smarmy looking.
Ashley fell for this guy in two weeks and by week 5 she is still obsessed with him. He chose to leave on his own week 3 because he did not feel anything for her and well, many other very cruel unflattering comments left this creep's mouth. Behind her back.  She begged him to stay. He said he had to leave for his daughter, he missed her so.  We all cringed and wondered why she couldn't see and know what we all did.

This is the WORST season of the Bachelorette ever. I have been on Chris Harrison's website every day and Ashley's also and 99.9% of all the comments there say the same and believe, as I do, that she should have been warned much more directly and shown the video of Big Jerk's unflattering cruel comments so she could turn her swoon into anger, tell him off and move on. What woman hasn't had to deal with a Big Jerk in her life? If you haven't you are lucky.

True Blood:  This one I cannot wait for,  starts again this summer and is about Vampires and Fairies and Werewolves.  No, not at all Twilight-ish.  It is as far from Twilight as you can get, and I am a Twilight fan and I love this one too, for different reasons.  Takes place in the south, a love affair ensues between Sookie, a blonde southern girl with attitude (who also finds out she is a fairy) and  Vampire Bill. (These two recenlty married in real life).  Vampires are "out" and about in the world, drinking Tru Blood in bars instead of beer. They don't feed on humans unless they are bad vampires. Last season we got Werewolves and this season we get witches I am told. Can't wait. Lots of hot southern accents and hot sex! Watch after kids are in bed. You can get past seasons ON Demand.


Big Brother:  This one is coming up soon, a bunch of frat boys and girls stuck in a house together for a couple months, trying to manipulate each other to stay in the house and win a quarter of a million dollars. Not a bad gig if you can get it.  Also lots of sex but not as good as vampires, fairies and werewolves.
Torchwood:  I have found out lately, in the last year or so that I am a SciFy fan. Totally. I have a Netflix membership and it allows streaming video to my laptop. So I watched movies that way for a while. Finally I figured out how to hook up my laptop via HDMI cord to my TV (Thanks, Devon) and have been watching that way.  I am totally addicted to all the Stargate shows and am now watching 5 seasons of Stargate: Atlantis for the second time. I already watched ten seasons of Stargate: SG-1 and  4 seasons of Battlestar Galactica. I love the Stargate series. It would be so cool to travel through a wormhole through the Stargate to other galaxies and planets and meet other humans and non-humans (not so exciting).  Instead of going to Hawaii for a vacation go through the Stargate and visit another world!

Anyway, Torchwood was one of the first sci-fi shows I found and it is about Captain Jack who came from another planet and cannot die. He found Gwen Cooper, a mere human, and her boyfriend, and he also found Ianto. He falls in lust with both of them. Yep, he is an equal opportunity lover. This was on BBC for years and now it is going to be on Starz and starts July 8th. I love Captain Jack, so sexy,  and can't wait! Unfortunately Ianto died last season but Bill Pullman will be in this new story. And it doesn't take place in Wales anymore. We shall see what Hollywood does with it.

Expedition Impossible: Starts tonight, by the makers of Survivor, so I have to check this one out. Looks kinda like combination of Amazing Race and Survivor.

Falling Skies:  Remember Noah Wylie from ER? He is now starring in this one.  This one is right in my wheelhouse....SCI-FY!!  Unpredictable unearthly things happen to real people that we care about. So far so good.

So if we never get summer sun and warm days we have lots of TV to watch. Bring it on!
What are you watching?

1 comment:

Allison said...

I agree...I love summer TV! My personal favorite is So You Think You Can Dance. I do hope that summer does eventually come around for you though. Enjoy the shows!