Thursday, June 2, 2011

Community Service

I went to court yesterday to have my ticket "mitigated."  Yes, I was driving with expired tabs for two months, looking in my rear view mirror the whole time. Well, I was watching the road too.  When it happened I was surprised. I was a week away from being able to buy my car tabs. I was pulling into the parking lot in Issaquah where I was going to get my mammo.  And there were the lights flashing behind me.

Oh no, I know why he is stopping me. I felt embarassed, guilty, stupid, you name it. If you have ever been stopped and you know exactly why, you know how I felt.
The officer was actually very kind.  I was two months overdue and he only gave me a ticket for one month overdue. About a $100 difference.  The ticket was about exactly the same as my license tabs would have been. But I had no money for either.

The officer told me I might be able to get it reduced or even waived if I went to court. IF I had my license tabs.  So I sent in the ticket thingie and got a notice back telling me my court date was June 1st.  Ok, good, I could have my license tabs by then for sure.

So yesterday was my day in court. And I was prepared. My hair needed coloring, gray roots showing. I wanted to paint my nails because Lucy's ballet performance was coming up. But I would wait until Thursday to do both. I did not want to look too "rich."   Not a problem. I wore no earrings and just my regular clothes, jeans, black shirt, olive rain jacket.  And I had my tabs.

I got to court early and sat and waited while the judge called each person, in alphabetical order but reversed. The judge explained his name was Stewart and he was always one of the last called so he goes in reverse alphabetical order.  Ok, but my name starts with a D so......I waited. And listened. He seemed to be a very fair judge.
I was going over in my mind what I would say. Finally I am called, I walk up before him, as all the other people in court listened too.  I was terrified.  I began with, "First, I live on social security...." and went on to sound as pitiful as I could, explaining my quick chance to move to the eastside nearer my son and family, and how that was expensive.  I also showed him my license tab document.

I think it paid off. He reduced my fine to $80.  I was expecting less.  BUT he said I could pay that or do 8 hours of community service and I would have 60 days to do it. 

So I can do my community service for any non-profit organization.  I think it will be at the food bank. I have thought about helping out there anyway. 

It feels weird to have to do community service. It makes me feel like Linday Lohan or something (without her money).  It seems like you only hear about someone doing community service who has commited a minor criminal act. So somehow I feel like a criminal. 

But I am glad I don't have to pay the $80.

Today I am coloring my hair! And painting my nails!

No comments: