Monday, June 27, 2011

OUCH! Just helping a friend...

I helped a friend to a doctor's appointment for some minor surgery today.  I waited for her and took her home, was helping her into her house, standing on the doorstep at the door.  The door was locked. She motioned to go in through the garage so I steped away to do just that.....only I forgot that there were three steps and I fell right on my face....well, everything on my front BUT my face, thank goodness! My hand was clutching my car keys and I put them up to my chest automatically so when I fell my fist jammed into my chest.  The breath was knocked out of me.  I could not breathe for a full minute. And there was my friend Leta standing at the door waiting for me. She could hardly stand and needed to get inside. I could not move, could not breathe, both my palms on my hands were bleeding, my chest and knee was in pain. And I am thinking, "You have got to breathe and get Leta inside NOW!"  

Finally I got some breath in and managed to get up and get to the garage door and get around to the front door to open it for Leta. Then I had to help her with her pills she was to take, tell her all she was to do and not do, be sure the instructions were where she would remember, get her laid down on the couch with pillows (she was NOT to lie flat) and get her an ice pack for her face.

Then I looked at my own knee which I could feel was probably skinned a bit. There was a HUGE giant swollen area below my knee.  It looked like it really hurt badly but it just felt like a scrape. I figue it will hurt worse tomorrow.



And still I could not breathe well. So as soon as I could leave Leta I did so she could sleep and I could go home and take care of me.
I took a tylenol and vicoden for pain when I got home, got into comfy clothes and lay on my bed and turned on TV.  But still I could not breathe well and it hurt to lay down, it hurt to get up, and I worried if something might be wrong. So I called the nurse through my insurance company and she asked me a bunch of questions and said my lung may be partiallly collapsed and I should go to urgent care or to the hospital. She looked and found no urgent care around here so I went to Evergreen Hospital.  They put me in a wheelchair when they saw I could hardly walk and breathe at the same time.
Three hours later (thank goodness I took a book) the x-ray showed I did not have a collapsed lung or broken ribs and I was sent home with my own set of instructions.  The verdict: Chest Contusion. I think a contusion is a bruise?
Kinda funny when you think about it. I went to take my friend to the doctor for minor surgery and end up injuring myself and finding myself in the hosptial.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Oh no! This is terrible!
I hope you are feeling better now (and that Leta is too!)!
Max will be quite impressed with your boo-boo.
I'm glad that it wasn't anything more serious with your lungs, but still scary!
See you soon :)

Just Me said...

My boo boo should be nicely colored by the time you get home
:-)