Saturday, November 15, 2008

"Grandma"











I have to say it feels really weird to be called "grandma" by an 18 year old boy. It is expected from a little kid like Joseph age 10 or Lucy age 22 months. But to have a young man who is 6' 3" tall say "hi Grandma!" as part of my every day experience is a constant reminder of how old I am getting. His name is Darren and he for the first time away from his home near Kansas City, Kansas to Seattle, Washington to help me drive almost 2000 miles to Kansas. He not only had never flown before but had never been out of Kansas (and Missouri which is a few miles away-Kansas City spans two states, Kansas and Missouri). He also had never seen a mountain before or trees like we have them in the northwest. He helped me move my stuff out of my apartment in Issaquah to a storage unit. He was there with me in the Seattle area about 11 days. Then we packed my car so full that the seat could not be pushed back so he could drive even if he could. Turns out he also did not know how to drive a manual transmission. So I drove the entire way myself with a 15 pound miniature poodle on my lap (she was very happy to be with her "mom" all that time). It was quite an experience. I had never been to South Dakota or Iowa. However I have deduced that I was not missing anything (sorry, South Dakotans and Iowans). After we left the Mt Rushmore area of S. Dakota it was pretty bleak. The photo is of my Grandson Darren and I at Mt Rushmore. We drove about a half hour out of our way to see this US landmark that I was pretty sure I would never get an opportunity to see again. I am ashamed to say I had to ask Darren who all the presidents were up there. He knew! Do you?



I have to do this drive again in March or so to get back home for the new baby due in late April. But I am hoping maybe my son Mark whose home I am staying in now will drive my car back with his son Darren and I will fly back. I can do without more of South Dakota which seemed to be neverending. Anyway, I can hope.

1 comment:

Annie said...

Devon and I got all 4 presidents correct-- well, I should say that I knew Washington and Lincoln and Dev knew the other two!
Tell Darren that we say hello!
It would be so nice for you if you could fly back home and not have to make that drive again!