Thursday, May 21, 2009

Two Contests, Disappointment






I was about as shocked as Kris Allen was to see him win American Idol. He said, "No, Adam deserves this." I thought so too. So I have been reading blogs about what happened. Some say the religious south didn't like that Adam was gay. Some say the teen girls in Arkansas, Kris's home, voted hundreds of times and one voted 2600 times. Some say they figured Adam had a career in the bag so they voted for Kris. Pity votes?

Some say they wanted to prove the judges and especially Simon wrong. Some blamed it on the old ladies. But I am one of those and I have always voted for Adam. Those who blame the old ladies forget that once we were young and it was at a time when Queen was young and the Stones were too, ACDC, Aerosmith, all the great classic rock bands: we were raised on them. Adam is the new Freddie Mercury (lead singer for Queen who died of AIDS in 1991).

I liked Kris. He puts out emotion in an intimate way, draws you in. But it was clear to me last night when both Adam and Kris sang with Queen that Adam is very clearly the best performer and singer. Adam is someone you cannot take your eyes off. He commands an audience. I can't wait to see what he does and would even love to see him live. I know he will have a huge career.








I do believe he is the best singer ever to be on American Idol. Period.










Now we move on to Dancing With the Stars. Again the wrong choice for winner. America went for cute instead of sexy. A 17 year old Olympian gymnast who was afraid of expressing any kind of sexuality or sensuality in her dancing wins over Gille Marini who was the French naked guy on the terrace in Sex and the City? To me that was a no contest situation also. Gille Marini was clearly the best dancer. But Shawn Johnson improved the most. I would not care if I ever saw Shawn Johnson dance again. I would love to see Gille dance anytime anywhere.



No comments: