Sunday, January 18, 2009

Advocating for us Old Folks



First of all I never thought I would become “disabled.” Until a few years ago I had always pictured myself working until I was at least 66 and maybe 70, but that my retirement would be on my own terms, not forced upon me. I thought I would work at the job I had held for 8 years for many more years. Not so. My inability to be at work early and stay an 8 hour day probably had something to do with them forcing me out, aka firing me. It wasn’t the reason they gave of course. That would have been illegal. I did get my job done each day, either in my office or at home. I was very good at my job.

But now I am unable to work an 8 hour day or to promise to be there at a certain time each day and stay a certain number of hours per day. I applied for disability and it was a rather intensive grueling procedure. I was approved. No, I didn’t have to fight a denial which I was expecting to have to do. I guess that says I am more disabled even than I thought?

Some days I feel like I could work. Usually after about 11am. But not every day. Maybe I could find a job doing something at home, but I would not be 100% everyday. And it would mean losing my disability.

Oh, and did you know that although I am considered disabled due to health issues that require not only monitoring by doctors but prescription drugs to treat these issues, I have to wait 24 months to get medical help at all. Until then I have to pay for it myself out of a tiny fixed income. Luckily I turn 65 in September of this year so I will be on Medicare then. But for the next nine months I will have no help with my medical bills or my prescriptions. DOES THIS MAKE ANY SENSE TO YOU?

And what happens to those who have no son to stay with until disability and housing comes through?

Something needs to change with this. I can’t imagine why someone has not advocated for this sooner and if they have why it has not been done. I guess I have to be that person.

No comments: