Saturday, May 21, 2011

It's a County Idol

It was thought that many people might skip American Idol this season because of the change in judges.  Simon the British caustic but always interesting judge was gone.  Kara and Ellen gone. Only Randy remained.
But the new judges Steven Tyler of Aerosmith and Jennifer Lopez have been very good replacements.  Steven is always funny and fascinating. He looks like a rocker, is a very experienced musician, as is J-Lo.
And the contestants this year were a better bunch than I have seen in years.  It was hard to vote because they were all good and they were all likable and had sympathetic and interesting stories.
My favorite was a rocker named James Durbin who has a high functioning autism and Asperger's syndrome.  In my opinion, the best of the bunch.




But he was voted out when four were left and now the last rocker, a young woman named Haley Reinhart was voted off last week. That leaves two very young, aged 16, I think, country kids.  Scotty McCreery who has a very low voice and Lauren Alaina who was 15 when she started this journey and has the most stunning blue eyes. Both are very good singers. 



They are both country pop singers.  The first time both finalists are of the country genre. Many say that mostly young girls vote and therefore Scotty will win. I think that may be true although I vote but I am not your ordinary 60-something woman.

 I voted for Haley the rocker chic after James was gone. She performed with her dad who plays electric guitar and I loved it! Sorry, I couldn't find a pic of them together.



 But both of these county kids are good.  It does seem that when you look over the past years of American Idol that some of the most successful singers and performers were not AI winners.  I wish them all the best but can't wait to see what James Dubin does with his career.

Have you watched? Who do you hope wins? Do you care?

No comments: