Wednesday, January 26, 2011

NY's Res #2 Making money....Maybe not

I have to say I do walk more now. So NY's resolution #1 is alive and well. But NY's resolution #2 was pretty much dead on arrival, although good intentions were behind it.  The thing is I can feel pretty well for days, maybe even weeks, but I never know when those bads days come, and they come oftener than I would wish, especially in winter.

As my friend Molly said on iVillage.com "that's the thing about RA(rheumatoid arthritis) or many other chronic diseases -- you never know from one day to the next how you're going to feel. One day you can be fairly normal and the next you can't get out of bed. Employers won't stand for that, not in this job market particularly.  Trying to get even a part-time job when you have a condition that dictates that you'll be missing at least some amount of time isn't conducive to being hired.  It's a little different if you already have a job because there are some protections given by the ADA, but even then, if you can't perform your job for long periods of time, you're likely to be in the unemployment line."  

She is so right, and those good days can make you think maybe you really can do things.  Maybe you are going to be better now, maybe it all went away. Maybe you can have a more "normal" life.  But "normal" is really a relative term, isn't it? 

One thing I can do is rise to the occasion when I am asked to spend some quality time with my grandchildren, Joe, Lucy and Max.  It is usually only once or twice a week and I can and do get it together, no matter how I felt earlier in the day, to play with them, feed them, hold them and attend to their needs.  I look forward to it.  They raise my happy level.

1 comment:

Annie said...

Well, at least you are walking more!
I'm sorry that you aren't feeling well, but I am so happy that the kiddos raise your happy level, and we sure appreciate you a whole bunch!!
See you tomorrow :)