Thursday, November 3, 2011

A 91st Birthday

My Aunt Marjorie will have her 91st birthday Sunday the 6th of November.  She has lived alone until a year ago when she went to live with her son Larry who is only 6 months older than I.  Our mothers lived together while our fathers were in WWII.  Our famlies were very close all the time we were growing up.
Then in 1995 when my mother died Aunt Marji was with me in the nursing home where my mom had been for a year since her stroke.  She was with me so much during that time, she was closer to me than anyone else at that time. Here is a picture of my mother and Aunt Marji taken about 1993.



Now Aunt Marji has had problems that caused her to be in a nursing home for 24 hour care. She has osteoporosis and a bone in her neck had broken. She had to wear a collar to keep her head up. Now she had the collar removed and Larry is looking for another place where she can stay for her care, where she can take care of what she can do for herself, which is most everything but her meds and meals.  I remember when Aunt Marji and I were looking for a home for my mom.  My mom was one of seven kids. Marji was the youngest and she is now the only one left.

Sunday is her birthday and I try every year to go see her.  I can only stay a couple days because the snow in the passes are coming any time. I went last year and this year I am planning to go too. It is a long drive but I have some audio books to listen to on the way.  And Larry will take me out again like he did last year and we will dance together and maybe I will meet up with the ex secret service guy I met last year who is Larry's friend. He just had his 55th birthday so he is just my type.

But most importantly at 91 I never know when this birthday may be her last.

No comments: